Sewing

Sew Over It Silk Cami

Brr it’s cold today! We had a little snow overnight, but nothing to get excited about and it’s all melted now. We had a very chilly walk into town earlier though and I am happy to be home in the warm with a cup of tea now!

This week I made myself a Sew Over It ‘Silk Cami’ – two makes for February already, go me haha 😉 I downloaded the PDF the other week, to see how I get on with the whole PDF thing and I actually didn’t find it a problem at all. I stuck all the pieces together while watching tv and then cut it down to my size straight away, which I found easier and less annoying than tracing off the pattern in my size.

I had intended to stick to pinning and cutting the pattern pieces out with scissors again this time, but found that quite awkward with the thicker paper and slippery material, so went back to using my rotary cutter – not ideal, but seemed the best solution. I’d love to hear other people’s opinions on the best process for cutting out though, as I just can’t seem to find a system that works well for me.

The pattern is extremely easy to follow and has helpful photos too, so I actually got all the sewing done in one afternoon (which is fast for me haha). Especially pleasing having accidentally sewn the armholes of my facing together oops haha, so wasted time unpicking that and doing it the right way! I’m not sure how I managed that, the instructions are perfectly clear, but suspect it may have something to do with being distracted by Vampire Diaries oops!!

I bought the fabric a couple of years ago (on eBay I think) when I was planning to make the Megan Dress from Love at First Stitch, but I couldn’t get the fit right at the toile stage and frustration (and my old friend fear of failure) kicked in and I never made it. In hindsight though, I think the fabric would have been too drapey for that dress and it’s worked perfectly for this top 🙂

I was a little worried about sewing with such a slippery fabric but, whilst it slipped around all over the place at the pinning stage (I lost track of how many times it slipped right off my little sewing table and onto the floor!), it wasn’t too much of a problem once I started actually sewing. This was also my first experience of ‘french seams’, which are actually very straight forward and look very nice on the inside. I shall definitely use them again!

I’m really pleased with how it turned out 🙂 I think I may need to redo the hem as it’s curling a bit, but I’ll have another go at pressing it first. For now though, I’m feeling very pleased with myself for completing my second make of the month already – just need the weather to improve before I can wear it!

Silk Cami

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s