Sewing

Rosa Shirt Dress for #sewtogetherforsummer

I finally finished my Tilly and the Buttons Rosa Dress for #sewtogetherforsummer last week and I’m so pleased with it 😊 I was sewing well out of my comfort zone, but thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt lots of new things.

Putting the collar together was interesting haha but Tilly’s instructions are really clear (and the photos help too!), so I didn’t actually have too much trouble with that…once I’d sat quietly and thought it through properly 😂

Four views of collar

The buttonholes were my biggest fear, but didn’t up being anywhere near as scary as I thought 😂 My biggest problem was working out where to put them and I ended up with a variety of different coloured chalk marks down the front where I kept changing my mind haha 😂 but the one-step buttonhole on my new sewing machine sewed them all very neatly 😊 I found the blog post that Sew Sarah Smith put together really helpful too 😊

Closeup of button and buttonhole

I decided to leave the sleeves off, as I really liked how it looked sleeveless, so I just bought some pale blue satin bias binding to finish them on the inside. It’s not particularly well done, but no one will ever notice that!!

Finishing the armholes with bias binding

I ended up having to take it in quite a bit at the sides to get a nice fit, which puzzled me after my toile fitting so well, so I can only assume that was down to how beautifully soft my fabric is?

My finished dress

I’m so, so pleased with how it turned out, I absolutely love my dress and am so pleased that I took part in the #sewtogetherforsummer challenge – there’s still time if you want to join in 😊

#sewtogetherforsummer

Sewing

Named Clothing Paola & Geneva Tops

Things are still a little up and down here, but I’ve finally got the photos I need to write about my Named Clothing Paola and Geneva tops 😊 I used a cheap Cotton Interlock from eBay for both, just as a practice run, but I’ve actually ordered more as it feels so nice to wear.

I made the Paola Turtleneck Tee first and it’s such a lovely pattern – I wore it until it walked itself into the wash, it’s so cosy and comfortable! I had a few hitches due to sewing when tired haha which I’m including here because it actually amused me that I could be so daft 😆 First I sewed the sleeve in upside down and then I sewed the neck together the wrong way round and it had no stretch – oops!! Both mistakes were easily rectifiable with my trusty quick unpick though 😊

Sleeve sewn in the wrong way round
I added a couple of inches to the length, thanks to @amandaturner1977’s advice on Instagram and I actually think I might add another inch when I make it again. I’ll add an inch to the sleeves too as, although they’re a perfectly respectable length, I like my sleeves really long!

I also need to adjust the shoulders, as they’re finishing too far down my arm, but I think that should be fairly easy to do 😊

Shoulder seam finishing to far down arm
Next I made my Geneva Raglan Top and, again, it’s a great pattern and I lived in the top after I finished it 😊 I added a couple of inches to this one too, but will actually probably add an inch LESS next time, as it turned out rather long! The sleeves were a good length for me on this one too, with no extra added.

Geneva Top showing long length

I had to adjust the shoulder darts, due to them finishing too far down my arm and creating an odd shape, and I still couldn’t get them quite right, but they’re passable and I’m going to have a go at altering my pattern before I make it again.

Shoulder darts
Overall I’m really pleased with how both tops turned out and am looking forward to making them again 😊

Finished Paola and Geneva Tops

For now though, I’ve distracted myself with making a Tilly and the Buttons Rosa Dress for the #sewtogetherforsummer challenge being run by @sewsarahsmith, @rocco.sienna and @sewing_in_spain over on Instagram. I fancied the idea of making a shirt dress for the summer and this has given me the push I needed to have a go 😊 It’s way out of my comfort zone and I’m extremely apprehensive about the buttonholes haha 😆 but I made a partial toile yesterday and that went really well, so I’m now looking forward to getting stuck in and having a go 😊

I’ve also got plans to make a Sew Over It Molly Top (pattern from the Comic Relief Crafternoon Mag) and, if that goes well, I want to make the dress version out of some cute owlie fabric I bought recently 😊 and I also came across the Papercut Patterns Hoodie recently and am excited about making one of those too!!

So many sewing plans, so little time haha 😂